2007-18 Update


Added info on the upgraded charge of 2nd Degree Murder to the third 15 year old youth.

Archive - 2007

Homicide #2007-18

Date - 2007-09-01

Victim - Boss, Kyle (21)
Accused - Male (16), Male (14), Male (15)
Charge - 2nd Degree Murder, Aggravated Assault

On Saturday, September 1st, 2007, shortly before 9:00am, Kyle Boss (21) was assaulted by two male youths, in the 700 block of Beverley Street, south of Notre Dame Avenue. Boss was taken to hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries.

A witness told the media that around 6:30am there were young men talking loudly to another group in a house across the street. At 7:00am police arrived and had taken away two youths from 755 Beverley in handcuffs. About an hour and half after the police left the beating occurred.

Another man and woman who witnessed the beating said an argument between two young men occured about 8:30am. The argument turned violent and the two saw several young men beat Boss with what appeared to be fence posts or two-by-fours.

This excerpt from the Winnipeg Free Press describes the events leading up to the fatal beatings.


Neighbours said Saturday that loud partying and police sirens made for a restless night in the hours before the attack.

"There were police here three times last night. There was screaming and yelling all night long," a neighbour said.

Around midnight, hours before the morning assault, a crowd of young people spilled out of the party house and surrounded one person in the middle of the street.

Several neighbours reported hearing a lot of yelling and screaming as the swarm zeroed in on the one individual.

"About 20 kids beat on that kid until he was down," one neighbour said. "Then they left him."

For nearly 10 minutes, the victim of that earlier beating lay in the street before he rose and walked away. The rest of the young people had returned to the house to keep the party going.

By 9 a.m., the party was still going strong when the second, more serious assault took place.

Neighbours said minutes before the attack, the victim was seen arguing with a girl outside the house. Then a bunch of people from the house spilled onto the street.

The next thing neighbours knew, there was a man lying unconscious on the ground.


Police, who believe the murder was gang related, have arrested 3 male youths in relation to the crime.

One youth (16) has been charged with 2nd Degree Murder and Aggravated Assault, a second youth (14) has been charged with 2nd Degree Murder and a third youth (15) was detained and charged with Aggravated Assault.

On September 13th, the 15 year old youth had the charge up Aggravated Assault upgraded to 2nd Degree Murder.